NFL Films’ Super Bowl 51 Sound FX Is An Absolute Must-Watch
As they always do, NFL Films came through with a masterpiece from Super Bowl 51.
Numerous players on both sides were mic’d up for the game, and this is a must-watch for any Patriots fan.
Get your popcorn ready:
- Immediately after LeGarrette Blount’s fumble, Tom Brady yells “you’re gonna come back LG!” to him on the sideline
- At the start of the second half, Josh McDaniels gathers his running backs and asks “Do you believe we’re gonna win?” They nod they’re heads and he says, “I do too” before giving them some words of advice.
- When the Falcons scored to go up 28-3 with 8:36 left in the third, Brady rips into his teammates on the sideline
- “What the fuck guys? Did you hold?” – Matt Ryan to two of his offensive linemen after the crucial holding penalty that took the Falcons out of field goal range up 28-20 in the fourth quarter
Certain players made a lot of appearances in the video, one of which was wide receiver Mohamed Sanu. Sanu was extremely confident as the Falcons built their 25-point lead, but he may have been a little too confident. He was doing a lot of trash talking both on and off the field, and at one point Tyler Gabriel refused to buy in to his notion that the game was in hand and warned him about the capabilities of Tom Brady.
As you can imagine, he didn’t have much to say towards the end of the game. Here are Sanu’s most notable quotes:
- Says “come here Logan” and “you don’t want this Logan” as he lines up against Logan Ryan on the goal line before Devonta Freeman’s touchdown to put the Falcons up 7-0 in the second quarter
- After Matt Ryan’s touchdown pass to Austin Hooper to make it 14-0 Falcons with 8:55 remaining in the first half, Sanu looks at Logan Ryan and says “Touchdown” as he points to Hooper in the end zone.
- Says “we about to get a pick though” to Julio Jones, just before Brady threw the first pick-six that he’s thrown in his seven Super Bowls. Robert Alford returned the interception 82 yards to make it 21-0 Falcons with 2:36 left in the half. Sanu said to Jones, “didn’t I tell you?”
- Sanu: “They ain’t never seen nothing like this”
- Taylor Gabriel: “It’s Tom Brady though, man.”
- Sanu: “I know, I know. I’m never comfortable. We ’bout to put up 40-something on their ass. I’m just sayin, they’ve never seen anything like this.” (This conversation was extremely satisfying to listen to)
- Julian Edelman’s pass to Dion Lewis falls incomplete. Sanu says , “they’re trying anything now.”
- Sanu to Julio Jones after Brady runs for a first down: “You know when you’re watching film and you hold the slow-mo? That’s what that looked like.” (Not funny)
- Sanu to Jones as the Patriots are driving down the field for their first TD: “They’re just wasting time. They can’t stop us, so they’re just wasting time.” (Now that’s funny)
One guy I gained a lot of respect for after watching this is Dont’a Hightower. He’s not someone who’s really outspoken to the media, but stuff like this shows just how much of a vocal leader he is on the field:
- “No more mistakes, no ‘my bads’. There’s none of that no more. Everything’s gotta be perfect. Everything’s gotta be perfect.” Just after Hightower made this statement to his teammates, the Pats’ defense came up with a crucial three-and-out to get the ball back in Brady’s hands
- “The last five minutes is where the Super Bowl is made! Let’s go now! We’ve been here! We’ve been here!”
LeGarrette Blount had a career year in 2016 but wasn’t much of a contributor in the Super Bowl. He never got any momentum and his fumble early on was a crucial mistake. But that didn’t stop LG from maintaining a positive attitude on the sidelines and providing us with some solid quotes:
- Admitting to Dion Lewis that his fumble was a huge momentum killer: “That’s what opened the flood gates, really bro. I put that shit on the ground.”
- After the Falcons hold the Patriots to a field goal to make it 28-12 with 9:48 left in the game: “There’s still plenty of time if we get a stop bro. If we get a stop and score we have plenty of time. We just gotta score a fuckin’ touchdown bro.”
- Talking to Dion Lewis as the Patriots begin their game-tying drive, down 28-20: “We got Tom Brady. He’s the best ever. Hands down, bro. Do you question that?”
Just as he did in the Super Bowl two years ago, Julian Edelman provided the best sound from the game (greatest catch in Super Bowl history included):
- In the huddle, down 28-3. Says to his teammates, “let’s go boys, it’s gonna be a hell of a story.”
- Says “Need a turnover. Need a turnover D.” Then Dont’a Hightower comes through with the biggest defensive play of the game
- Yells “I caught it!” as he’s making the greatest catch in Super Bowl history. He then proceeds to argue with the Falcons’ Brian Poole over whether or not it was a catch while the play is being reviewed.
- Probably the best moment in the whole video. Before they head onto the field for their game-winning overtime drive, Edelman says to Brady, “Let’s go score and win this thing baby. For your mom. For your mom, bro.” Chills.
- At the end of the game, Edelman refused to celebrate until he received word from Coach Belichick that the game was over. He was yelling at everyone to get off the field until he saw Bill, who informed him that the final play had been reviewed. Absolutely classic:
I could watch this shit for hours. Hearing players mic’d up during one of the greatest games in NFL history is an unbelievable privilege. Excellent job by NFL Films to piece this together.
Even watching the Falcons celebrating in the first half was entertaining, knowing the Pats are about to come back and crush their hopes and dreams. If that’s wrong then I don’t want to be right.
Follow Jack Bardsley on Twitter @BostonsBigFour
Photo Credit: Eric Gay/AP Photo via bostonmagazine.com
1 thought on “NFL Films’ Super Bowl 51 Sound FX Is An Absolute Must-Watch”
Feel the same way bro. EPIC!
Comments are closed.